Our tips for buyers who have pets!
While You’re Shopping for a Home
1. Know your pet’s needs
- Should you look for a home with a fenced-in yard? Can your pet handle stairs? What about potential safety hazards like water features or a busy road? Would an open floor plan be better for your lifestyle? These are a few things to take into consideration while you are looking for your next home.
2. Know the neighborhood you want
- Consider the proximity of dog parks, walkable sidewalks, pet services, and open spaces in your search!
- Take a walk around the neighborhood and be aware of any safety issues (aggressive dogs) that might affect your pet.
3. HOA Rules & Local requirements
- If you have a large dog, find out whether there are any restrictions about breeds and sizes determined by the homeowners association.
- Find out what the county ordinances are:
After You Move In
- Pet-proof your home! Use these pet-proofing tips from American Humane!
- Explore the new space with your pet! Help your pet get used to the new space gradually. One way to do this is by setting up a “home base.”
- Dogs & fences: if your new property has an invisible fence, make sure you properly train your dog so they how it works!